5/24/2011

Rassembler les trésors ...

Gathering the Treasures…



Anticipation…anticipation…  It’s making me wait…

Carly Simon’s famous tune always comes to mind as June approaches.
First, as an educator I used to look forward to the end of the spring semester and the beginning of a much-deserved holiday. It was a time to enjoy, re-invigorate, sharpen the saw, and detoxify from the stress that comes with teaching. Even though I loved facilitating the learning of others and learning from them, by June I am ready for a recess. Teaching is a very rewarding yet stressful job. Hats off to all of you committed and passionate teachers who with your efforts are leaving a great legacy!

Combining the finds from the last week markets

Now, I look toward June with even more anticipation because each year I get to travel through France, and sometimes other countries of Europe, procuring and gathering the beautiful and unusual items that we bring to our customers in the USA.


 Even though it is not all as romantic as some of our clients think it would be, roaming through the South of France with anticipation of finding a unique piece or finding a great deal, or meeting up with those other dealers who become occasional friends, makes it fun. 

Heavy English garden urns

Often when we share of this experience, our customers gasp and exclaim, “Oh, what fun! Traveling through Europe, and especially France, just shopping for beautiful antiques!”  Yeah?  Try hauling some beautiful 300 lb. concrete urn to your truck in the heat of the Mediterranean summer.  Smile!  And yet, it is a blissful experience; one that we look forward to with much anticipation. Will you come along?


This year it will be a first for Martin and he is definitely looking forward to the adventure.  Johan and I joked that as part of his initiation, he will have to do all the hauling. “I don’t think so!” says Martin, “And you guys had better treat me to some delicious French food and good wine.”  Knowing Martin, he’ll be figuring out how to “steal” recipes and ask us if we can send a few cases of wine in the container.  I will try to find him a vintage toque

Clock from British rail road station 

Johan is already there gathering gorgeous pieces for our next container.(scheduled to arrive early September) He was here for just over a month and has already been back on the road looking for all those sigh-inspiring beauties to bring to California.  Take a tour through our web site as he is already posting photos of available pieces.

 

On the market south west of Paris last Wednesday

Here we see him buying, hauling and preparing another beautiful cargo of French and other European antiques and vintage items.

Trinidad - Johan - Martin

Back at the warehouse

28 comments:

Rosemary@villabarnes said...

I love everything here! The garden, the frames....Beautiful!

Ido said...

I could come with you to France, but no hauling for me, just selecting antiques and beautiful pieces, and like Martin, having some great food and wine, how does that sound? Thank you guys for bringing pieces of the old world to America. Now I will go through your web shop and see what I can find. Best of luck to you!
XXXX Ido

Allie said...

Being able to hand select your vintage finds, and then to see the happy buyers purchase them at your store in California, must make it all so special. You really do have some amazing pieces, that are unique and so very European. I always love to see what's new here. Have a safe trip Trinidad!

Home and Lifestyle said...

Don't bring all the pieces to America, because something has to remain for Europe :-)!! Thanks ;-)!

Wish you a good trip!! Hugs, Ingrid

Room Seventeen said...

Oh yes, I recognize this! We went to France last week, it was hot and sunny, and we were lugging around mirrors, vases, and cast iron objects.

under spanish moss said...

Even with the cons we would still love to go. We would even do the hauling for you!

Unknown said...

O how beautiful, very nice...greetings Nicole

kathee said...

Ohh Trinidad....If you take me, I will do all of the hauling!! You are such a lucky team. Martin is going to have a wonderful time. Bring me back another couple of umbrellas! I hope to see you soon...enjoy your much deserved vacation!!! xoxokathee

creekside rummager said...

I'd do hauling too - but I might haul that cart in the upper right hand quadrant of 4 pictures to my house. It looks really, really intersting. Trinidad, I hope you and the rest of the crew have a wonderful time. Lots of good food and wine will be needed to do all that hard work. Lani

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

Bonjour Trinidad! Merci bien pour vos commentaires! You met Nancy my sister-in-law! She was telling me about the Chateau Sonoma event and by looking at your BEAUTIFUL BLOG and magnificent finds, I can see we have a lot in common as far as décor. We recently added two rooms to our home and over the last 3 months, I have had so much fun trying to get YOUR LOOK together in my great room and I find that getting that RIGHT STYLE is in all the details. I must peruse your blog here to find more ideas to finish off the ambiance of the French farmhouse/flea market look! And you taught Spanish? I tell you, I LOVE TO TEACH but education is getting tighter and tighter; two teachers were laid off for this year so two of us had to take on the responsibility of teaching not only the French science and social studies to our own students, but to also teach ENGLISH LANGUAGE ARTS to our kids and to a team member's kids. 50 kids in all....this is not middle school; this is fourth grade! Challenging, indeed!

THANK YOU FOR YOUR VISIT and do come again! Anita

Déjà-Vu (Désirée) said...

Hi Johan and Trinidad,
What a lovely post again.
We can't wait to meet you again in France and during the french night at our shop in june!!
Paul & Desiree

lvroftiques said...

As usual you're killing me with all the fabulousness Trinidad! And I know it's not all fun hauling heavy items around, and the time it takes to search, clean, ship and price the inventory etc.....But sheesh! It has to be the best feeling ever coming upon treasure like this in the south of France! I'm green green green with envy! *winks* Vanna

Fete et Fleur said...

Dear Trinidad,

It was so much fun meeting and speaking with you and Martin last weekend. You are both kindred spirits. Your displays were incredible!

Thanks so much for your visit to my blog. I'll be posting more on the Chateau Sonoma event at Anita's blog party, on the 28th. I got some beautiful photos.

Hugs!
Nancy

P.S. I hope you post about your adventures in France.

lvroftiques said...

Trinidad I'd go flea marketing with you anywhere!.....*winks*....But if I lived any closer I wouldn't have any money to flea market because I'd have spent it all in your store! Lol! Vanna

La Brocanteuse said...

hello Trinidad and team, I know it is no vacation at all...and I don't even haul such heavy stuff like you! a vocation for me includes sleeping late in the morning..but no such luxury when on a buying trip-rushing from market to market sounds glam, but it is hard and takes a lot of effort mmm? never the less a huge privilage, enjoy those rare "off" hours,the high of finding as you know is thrilling! best wishes to you guys who inspire so many of us! safe travel Colette ~ Afrique du Sud. ps we shall follow along en route..

Atelier de Campagne said...

It's so nice to read all your comments!
You all are becoming my family of choice. Thank you for your kind words.

Trinidad and Team Atelier

designchic said...

It's all so beautiful...adore the bench!!

flowers on my table said...

I am mad about the table in your first photo. Good luck on your travels guys, look forward to seeing what you found on your return, love Linda x

Blooming Rose Musings said...

Terri(LaDolfina)and I were just talking about you yesterday and how we are planning to meet at your store. I got to spend some time with you at Remnants of the Past and she spends time with you at the Pointe. So, soon we will be meeting at your store.
This post brought back so many memories for me. My parents were educators and also had an antique store. I know the tireless work of both professions. Have a wonderful trip to France and I do hope you take time to enjoy yourself as well as find wonderful pieces for the rest of us. You are the best, there is no one like you! I look forward to seeing the team when you return.

Bohemian said...

I absolutely had to save that vignette with the rustic bench, old clock facing and heavy English Garden Urns to my favorites... breathtaking!

Dawn... The Bohemian

Atelier de Campagne said...

We are counting the days, and revving to go! I'm buzzing off my hair, buying comfortable shoes, packing a nice hat, and I'm gone child!! Martin is "polishing" his French. Our first shopping spot is in the north of France in a small village. No hotels, we sleep in the van. It sometimes rains but not on our parade...we hang out with Steve, Dagmar, Stan, Sean, Uti and Tia...BBQ and drink beer! Oh boy, I'm ready! One day we WILL take a group of you.

Johan, you'd beeter be ready for us!

Cheers!

Trinidad

Atelier de Campagne said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
desde my ventana said...

Esas vacaciones en el Sur Francia suenan como un viaje de sueño,merecido después del duro y buen trabajo que habéis realizado.No hay más que ver las imágenes que publicáis.

Un abrazo muy fuerte Trinidad y gracias siempre por vuestras visitas,

Cecilia

28 Magnolia Avenue said...

Thank you for the sweet comments on my blog Trinidad. I get great inspiration from your site. Love it! Kristine

the vintage bricoleur said...

Trinidad, Alameda has been postponed till next week and we are not going to be able to make it. We are taking the kids camping. I have your chandelier all ready for you. We plan to be at Alameda in July. Will this work for you? Terry

the vintage bricoleur said...

Trinidad, We were planning to bring your chandelier to Alameda, but now it has been cancelled due to rain. We will be at Roses and Rust instead. Keep in touch! Danny and Terry (the vintage bricoleur)

desde my ventana said...

Gracias por tu visita Trinidad, y qué suerte conocer a Nina,soy una gran admiradora de su trabajo,
Feliz nueva semana y que tengas una maravillosa estancia junto a tu madre,
Saludos

Cecilia

La Dolfina said...

Wow, this was such a cool post...
I am in awe of your business model. You three are the perfect team, all with such distinct and unique personalities and talents. Anyone who buys from you is lucky. I never really knew what went into finding and bringing your amazing treasures to The Pointe!
I love your blog!
Your writing style is wonderful...
Fabulous, just fabulous!!